On Monday March 10th the Architecture For Humanity Haiti planning team participated in the Forum Urbain National 2014 initiated by CIAT, which is the first national urban forum in Haiti. This Forum follows the Urban Regional Forums of the Greater South and of the Greater North, which took place earlier this year with participants from the major players in urban development: policy makers, professionals, private sector, urban operators, academic sector, voluntary sector and citizens.
At the national level, the goal of this event was to acknowledge that the country now has a majority of its population living in cities, and to establish a vision and a shared understanding of urban issues to then lay the groundwork for a unified policy for Haiti.
Architecture for Humanity lead the "FUN" group through the Villa Rosa Project for the "rehabilitation urbaine" site visit. The group consisted of a variety of people from professional architects and planners to NGO representatives (GRETT and CONCERN) to students of the "University of Quisqueya" and the "Faculte des Sciences".
The site visit started at the Canape-Vert entry point of the neighborhood where all the different participants met each other. Architecture for humanity gave a brief introduction of the project and what the neighborhood consists of. The group then continued on to several priorities outlined by the community in our action plan which were executed by UNOPS. (See map of guided visit)
The two most important priorities visited were priority 5 the staircase and main connecting pathway through the neighborhood, and Place Rosemond formerly known as Trou Rosemond (former trash dumping site) which is now a public space and a basketball court.
The visit ended with Priority 4, a staircase connecting rue Rosa (Main access point to Canape Vert) to the rest of the neighborhood, CIAT and the CASEC of Turgeau gave the closing words and everyone went back to the market.
The “rehabilitation urbaine” site visit lasted about an hour and CIAT was very pleased with the way in which it was conducted.
The Forum Urbain National is set to continue for the week of March 10th to march 17th with several planned activities (site visits, conferences, and technical workshops), please follow attached link for a schedule of the Forum.
Après le Focus Group à Sainte Marie il était nécessaire pour Architecture for Humanity d’aller sur le terrain et voir comment sont les choses, en compagnie des représentants de la communauté. Sainte Marie, zone située en plein Canapé Vert, a des risques environnementaux énormes et du même coup de sérieux problèmes d’infrastructure. A noter, c’est un quartier qui est divisé en huit blocs alphabétiquement décantés de A à G y compris le bloc où se trouve le Foyer Sainte Marie.
Le bloc A est exposé au Nord par la ravine qui représente un gros danger et au sud par la Morne Rosa ou des grosses pierres menacent les maisons et souvent il a des glissements de terrain. La route est sur la rive de la ravine, elle est très étroite et abîmée, il y a trois points d’eau mais c’est commercial. Parmi les trois poteaux électriques dans cette zone il y a un seul qui a un lampadaire. Un mur de soutènement pour la ravine est la priorité #1.
C’est le voisin de la zone A, ce qui explique qu’ils partagent apparemment les mêmes problèmes, à savoir la menace de la ravine et le glissement de terrain. Cependant la route est moins étroite que celle du bloc A. il y a un point d’eau qui est privé. Le bloc compte neuf poteaux électriques en bois avec des fils conducteurs. Il y a deux parmi les poteaux qui ont un transformateur chacun, et c’est communautaire. Il y a aussi deux lampadaires.
Ce bloc là est le plus vulnérable de toute la communauté de Sainte Marie. Les corridors et murs de soutènement sont en très mauvais état. D’après le témoignage d’un résidant, quand il pleut beaucoup ça provoque des glissements de terrain considérables. Il y a cinq poteaux électriques en bois, un seul a un lampadaire. Les murs de soutènement sont #1 en priorité, et ce bloc a aussi besoin de 4 lampadaires.
Le bloc D a deux problèmes majeurs: les routes et l’éclairage. Il y a treize poteaux électriques, douze en béton et onze en bois. Le bloc a besoin de 8 lampadaire. Les routes et lampadaires sont les priorités #1.
C’est très accessible parce que les routes sont plus ou moins en bonne état. On compte cinq poteaux électriques. On a besoin 6 lampadaires et un des murs de soutènement.
Translated from a report by Sony Noel & Laneau Jean Carmel.
Sony and Laneau conducted interviews with a range of community members including some from the KHVR. The goal was to ascertain how well the information from the planning sessions was being disseminated through the community.
They concluded that the message of the urban planning project is being very poorly disseminated. Community groups that have been selected to participate in the planning sessions are not transmitting what they discussed, learned, and decided back to the other members of their group, let alone the members of the general population. Here are some quotes from those interviewed:
• Jean-Raymond Hérard (president of KHVR) : "Some people know about the urban planning process and most don't. I don't have enough information about the planning process being undertaken by AFH to be able to share it with the population. I need to know before each meeting what are the themes that will be developed and afterwards receive a summary of the session. We forget to share with the population the different activities of AFH because we don't adequately undersand the activities, the key message, and the objectives of the meetings."
• Will Civil (member of KHVR): "Not all the population is aware of the planning work, and also Cordaid's presence creates a misunderstanding. For the population, everything happening in the field is Cordaid. In addition, the term 'urban planning' is new in the vocabulary of the population. Members of the neighborhood groups do not discuss AFH's work in their meetings. Some people don't know because they refuse to listen. They think it's a dream."
• Sofia Lacrete (member of AFEM and UCEPRODEL): "I am not aware of an urban planning project despite the fact that I go to the AFEM and UCEPRODEL meetings every Sunday. This is the first time that I participate in an AFH activity."
In conclusion, Sony and Laneau recommend the following steps:
• Put up posters to promote the work being done by Architecture for Humanity
• Ask committee members to write up a short summary of planning sessions in order to share them with their organizations (and be better able to answer questions if interviewd by journalists in the future)
• Raise the awareness of participants in the planning sessions that they must carry the key messages back to their community
• Ask at the beginning of each meeting that someone give a short summary of the previous meeting.
In addition, we propose to create fliers that summarize the key themes being tackled through planning and distribute them around the neighborhood.
- Organized a Charrette on Pathways, Drainage and Ravines on Saturday 2/25. Preparatory meeting with UNOPS. Approx 40 people attended. Presented typologies of ravine remediation and staircase improvements. Used cardboard models of stairs, ravines, and other pieces to allow groups to design their ideal ravine, pathways, and staircase remediation and repairs.
- Organized a Charrette on Water and Sanitation on Thursday 3/01. Preparatory meeting held with ACF, Lifegiving Force, Lisa Smyth, and UNOPS on 2/27. Approx 50 people attended (much more than invited), but dwindled down to a core groupe of approx 25 after 1st activity. Discussed cost and management of water in Villa Rosa, as well as ways to maintain and empty out pit latrines. Participants were very interested in composting as a way to deal with human waste, and to de-stigmatize the “Bayacou” profession.
- Upcoming: Charrette on Waste Management on 3/06. Preparatory meeting held with UNOPS, ACF, HEAR Haiti, and Give Love on 3/02.
- Upcoming: Meeting with the landowners of Villa Rosa on 3/08.
- Upcoming: Meeting with the managers of Camp Golgota on 3/08.
Time: 9:30am -11:17am EST
Location: AFH- Haiti
Head of Meeting: Nancy
Minute Taker: Stephen Sun
Claudia, Sony, Jackson, Jackson, Frederqiue, Nancy, Kate , Brett, Tommy, Darren, , Jessica, , Stephen, and others
The mapping group, planning community outreach group, and design group are all to present progress and status of respective work.
The goal was to seek general feedback and to bring everyone up to date on current events to ensure open communication.
Raw Notes taken:
Olivia’s mapping team described progress and status of the CAD and GIS translation. Frederique talked about determining boundaries. Olivia asks questions about what to do about the tents and camps. Talking about going into GIS, we have to determine the type of photos. attach the geographic coordinate photography. Olivia is describing the process of GIS and what we are going to be doing. Brett asks developing questions about attributes in GIS. Fred speaks to Jasion who develops a survey that shows location of schools and we’ll be following up on the correspondance.
Be careful of what kind of surveys. too many people are going in to ask question and the locals are extremely frustrated. we need to meet with cordaid’s data guy. Renters’ survey regarding the economic strategies and political leverage. having the community contact the people rather than having us surveyors contact them directly. avoids confusion and frustration and enables trust.
keep an eye out for unmarked space in the CAD map. open space to be marked. Shaded areas. How to coordinate with charrettes. the charettes need to coordinate and communicate with the mappers. there is a lag of information. cite the theatre - pathways for there priorities are pathways over drainage. Community Engagement. Asset mapping and making the community optimistic about what thye can build on. Asset map with assets; that are churches, schools clinics. and markets. we also started mapping accessibility to what’s close and stuff. there are already existing . why are they asking for the facility. is it a question of accessibility or money. how to connect the people with the local services.
Focus group on physical environment, pathways, canals, draiginage. street lighting and electricity. started to identify needs and priorities. We then had a vision charette which was get people to start thinking about on a neighborhood level. tested a new activity with james rojas. interactive modelling workshops as charettes. they use it to make the neighborhoods. how do you pull out. Exercise was really successful. those images should be uplaoded. residents are becoming planners. residents had a lot of interesting ideas. The second acticity was a voting exercises that voted on the different needs. social services wanted to become more localized.Talk about accessibility to the clinics, schools, and health care. cinema.
Frustration and explaining the overhleming. people getting excited over large issues and getting upset over the fact that we only deliver a small solution.
Mention about another NGO coming in for using micro funding for small business projects.
Pathways and stairs as means to aggregate spaces and ravines. looking for specific instacnes of spaces to use them into a space. slopes, staircases, and ravines. how interventions can support other systems. engaging the opportunities. identifying the space and taking a crack of the proposal. all sorts of small things to make it more accessible. how do you make place? how to make an identity.
wayfinding vs placemaking. community meetings want people to fix up the stairs and ravines. street vendors cause the most trash. who’s taking care of the staircases. who’s doing what in this neighborhood. who in the community is taking care. do they know what it means to mainteance. skeptical thoughts from olivia . they’re finding what their assets are. who do you go to first. chicken or the egg. you need to inmplement an economic strategy on an already existing infrastructure. trying to find out an incentive there’s not where for anywhere for the compost to go. There are two things that need to happen. expand the mapping to the bottom location and setting up the GIS with brian for next week.
Milestones of the Community Engagement Team:
- Mapped boundaries of neighborhoods of Villa Rosa. Identified 7 neighborhoods inside Villa Rosa: Morne Rosa, Cité Méricain, Cité Théard, Haut Balanyen, Bas Balanyen, Impasse Guercy and Impasse Marseille. Also identified 2 adjacent neighborhoods: Cité Marke and Sainte Marie.
- Organized a Focus Group on community, economy and housing on Tuesday 01/31. Great turnout: approx 45 participants. Carried out asset-mapping for area, including educational, religious, commercial and community institutions. Began to identify neighborhood needs. A first draft of the report can be found in the Files under 02 Focus Group - Social & Community Infrastructure.
- Organized a Focus Group on infrastructure, environment and ravines on Saturday 2/04. Great turnout: approx 45 participants. Identified some of the physical assets (existing canals, staircases and roads, etc), and the needs for the area. Waste management and street lighting were among the most important. Report is being drafted. Scanned mental maps by participants are in the Files under 02 Focus Group - Infrastructure.
- Organized a Vision Charrette. Good turnout despite the rain: first half, around 80 participants, which dwindled to 60 for second half. Piloted a new hands-on activity involving 4 groups making a model of their ideal neighborhood. Followed with activity involving map and stickers of needed services. Report is being drafted.
- Organized a Validation of all outcomes of the community events. Approx 60 residents attended. Held 3 votes:
1) for favorite neighborhood model. Winners were #1 and #3.
2) for top 3 needs. As a group, the top 5 needs were: 1. Waste management; 2. Potable water; 3. Electricity; 3bis. Clinic; 5. Lampposts. This will be addressed in upcoming technical planning charrettes. For the clinic, as there are many health facilities in the vicinity of Villa Rosa (as identified during the asset mapping process), this may be an indication of accessibility issues rather than a direct need for another clinic.
3) for 1 small-scale community project. Winner was a "cultural center". Runner up was a "community restaurant." Unclear whether this entails free food. Further discussion necessary.
- Met with priest of Sainte Marie. Discussed two additional community events focused on Sainte Marie area. Next steps: 1. Meet with Cordaid to agree on Ste Marie strategy; 2. Mapping team to carry out mapping of Ste Marie area; 3. Work within church event calendar to schedule a focus group and a charrette; 4. Invite church representative to upcoming Villa Rosa charrettes.
- Upcoming: Pathways, Drainage and Ravines Charrette on Saturday 2/25. Have reached out to UNOPS for their input but have not received a reply.
- Upcoming: Water and Sanitation Charrette on Thursday 3/01. Lisa to be involved as well as ACF and Foyer of Sainte Marie.
| VILLA ROSA | Team Meeting February 06, 2012
RE: Team Update
Attendees: Claudia, Olivia, Brett, Nancy, Sony, Laneau, Stephen, Fred
1. Fred: Focus Group reports 1 and 2 to be completed by Tuesday
2. Fred: Develop focus group agenda, create maps and stickers.
3. Brett Stairology, Boundaries
4. Claudia work on Water/Ravine management plan.
5. Stephen to complete Initial Phase Report mark-ups and New Build Change Releases. Wednesday start working with Olivia on VR mapping.
6. Nancy to create a cartoon set for final report
7. Fred, meeting with priest and GRET
8. Nancy to set up walk about in Jalousie. Call Theo
9. Nancy and Rickie meet with GRET
10. Christian to finish model and start asset map. Work with Rickie on that.
11. Everyone to collect small objects.
12. Nancy to meet with Jip and Gordon to discuss housing typologies.
13. Nancy and Darren to work on Implementing Partners diagram. Find the colored tape.
14. Nancy to set up focus group review.
15. Rickie to coordinate Border mapping with Ocean. Confirm with Agathe.
February 02, 2012
Darren Gill, Christian Beaulieu, Katharine MacLean, Anne Hake, Claudia Jauhre, Brett Ferguson and Nancy Doran worked late into the night building a topography model for Villa Rosa,
Two 2ply, 2mm boards
| VILLA ROSA | 16|6 meeting - risk mapping Jan. 26, 2012
RE: Meeting between Architecture for Humanity and 16/6 to share information and procedures for risk mapping
Attendees: Alejandro, Pacheco, (UNDP), Darren Gill (AFH), Nancy Doran (AFH), Havard Breivik (UNDP), Marc Olivier (IMSRN), Hubert SAINT JEAN (IMSRN), Eric Calais (UNDP)
1. Architecture for Humanity presented their Scope of Work and procedures for the planning project of Villa Rosa.
2. Alejandro elaborated on the work of UNDP regarding the rehabilitation of the neighborhoods within the scope of 16/6. This scope of work involves five main areas of concentration:
a. Risk Assessment
b. Community Platforms
c. Community Planning
d. Public Investments
e. Income Generation and Employment Opportunities
3. Alejandro explained how UNDP is working on a document that will standardize the process of risk assessment. This document will also encompass geological mapping.
4. Alejandro mentioned that Entrepreneur du Monde has developed a model home concept that costs $4,000 for 30m2. The two storey house is USD 14,000. Consensus that housing in Villa Rosa should be at least 2 stories. http://www.entrepreneursdumonde.org
5. Alejandro will be setting up periodic coordination meetings with the planners involved in 16/6 projects to discuss and exchange information.
6. AFH explained how risk factors will be mapped and assessed through compiling information from Haitian Governmental Agencies, collaboration and information sharing with UNDP, onsite field investigations and community focus groups
7. Eric Calais explained their procedure as encompassing 3 steps: 1. Hazard maps identifying the existing geology, flooding, seismic and slopes. 2. Vulnerability Assessment of buildings and infrastructure (they would like AFH’s help with this). 3. Mitigation Strategies needs to get to the level of a house by house analysis in some cases
8. The first draft of the risk report will be available in March and the final report to follow in June. This report will explain the recommended remediation techniques. It was noted that the Villa Rosa Master Plan will be completed before the final report is out. The first part of the project concerns 3 neighborhoods of Petion Ville, unitl March, and then we’ll work on 5 others including Villa Rosa.
9. There was a general consensus that data sharing was essential for the success of these projects.
1. Nancy to connect with Marc to determine if there is any AFH data he could use.
2. AFH will share with Alejandro and Marc risk mapping reports and site surveys completed in partnership with the Villa Rosa community.
3. Marc to contact AFH when he would like to visit the site as AFH can set him up to walk around with their mappers. This should happen in March.
4. AFH to share their slope analysis map with Alejandro and Marc when completed.
5. Nancy to contact Guillaume of Entrepreneurs du Monde to obtain more information and set up a possible site visit. Harvard is interested in seeing this project too.
End of Meeting Minutes
| VILLA ROSA | Team Meeting Jan. 23, 2012
1. The GIS guy is starting in February
2. MS: Olivia has a team of three mappers. Approval on salaries for mappers came from Darren.
3. MS: Olivia is behind schedule but she is working on starting Jackson on detailed focused mapping and the other two continuing enumeration. Mapping should still be on track.
4. CE: Started actor mapping, Rickie Laneau and Sony have already named 64 stakeholders
5. CE: Complete boundary mapping.
6. CE: Focus group Thursday to be on community infrastructure. Natalie to be included (20%) Rickie to set up pre-focus group meeting in-house with Nancy and Olivia
This Weeks Action Items:
1. M/S: Areas added for Mapping so someone needs to print out new zones for area mappers. Marvine to do this. Marvine to also print out pathways.
2. Get the macro mapping finished by Wednesday.
3. Claudia to finish macro maps and have a pin-up. Put it on the Calendar for Wednesday.
4. Nancy to get onto Rolande about large scale paper.
5. Brett to finish housing typologies and put together a package. Set up Pin-up for Wednesday.
6. Nancy to find out if we can have keys to the BC office for on-site meetings.
7. Rickie to schedule send Cordaid community engagement schedule
8. Karl to develop transportation map. Pin-up with Nancy or Claudia twice a day.
9. Brainstorming with Olivia, Rickie and Nancy on focus group. Rickie to set up meeting.
10. Nancy to communicate with Agathe about the visit to the priest.
11. Brett to clean up OAN node file structure and put in place the script for uploading to the OAN (yeah!)
Architecture for Humanity (AFH), (CORDAID), ONU HABITAT et le Komité Humanitaire de Villa Rosa (KHVR).
D’après Saintizaire Phanel, un habitant de Bas Balanyen et membre du KHVR, on ne peut ni continuer ni relier des routes sans la présence de l’état haïtien. À plusieurs reprises dans la phase initiale et aussi lorsqu’on a essayé d’allonger la Rue Bas Balanyen, la population s’était opposée à ce genre d’intervention.
Océan Luckson, l’un des facilitateurs de développement communautaire de CORDAID, a suggéré qu’on rencontre les propriétaires officiels de la zone pour les sensibiliser, avant de commencer les activités de planification. Il a aussi proposé de préparer des « fliers » dans le but de mieux diffuser les messages dans la communauté.
Un autre membre du comité (KHVR) a dit qu’il est mal vu que la reconstruction se fait sans la présence et la participation de l’état. Frédérique a expliqué la façon de laquelle le projet s’insère dans les initiatives du gouvernement. Elle a aussi illustré la complexité de travailler avec l’État haïtien puisqu’il y a une multiplicité d’institutions gouvernementales qui agissent tous dans le secteur de la reconstruction.
• Casec blocked / opposed to community platform??
• Communication with camp. IOM? Residents of camp? Representation in KHVR?
• KOGEVIR – GRET? Follow up with water management group.
Meeting postponed pending head of mission of Cordaid Piet Spaarman meeting with Casec of Turgeau Raoul Pierre-Louis.
APPROCHE INTEGREE - VILLA ROSA
Réunion: Réunion de coordination des partenaires
Lieu: Local de Build Change
Date/heure: 16 Janvier 2012 – 09.30h -11.30h
Participants: Build Change - Gordon
Architecture for Humanity – Nancy, Frédérique
IOM – Jonathan, Priscille
Cordaid – Agathe, Boisvert
KHVR – Jean Raymond, Bernadette, Guerlyne
Compte-rendu par: Jean Etienne Boisvert / Agathe Nougaret
1. Organisation des réunions de coordination
Comme prévu lors de la réunion précédente, Jean Etienne Boisvert de l’équipe sociale de Cordaid a dirigé la réunion. L’engagement est pris pour que graduellement les membres du KHVR assurent le suivi.
2. Nouvelles constructions
Gordon a annoncé pour cette semaine la remise du dessin de la zone 7.
3. Progrès de Build Change / retrofits
Gordon a annoncé l’intensification des actions de Build Change sur le terrain. Il souhaite que Cordaid livre 100 codes PIN par semaine. Build Change est en train de recruter 30 nouveaux ingénieurs et un expert géotechnique pour superviser les murs de soutènement.
L’équipe de dessin retourne voir des bénéficiaires qui ne pouvaient pas financer leur devis pour tenter d’élaborer un design moins cher à réaliser.
Build Change continue les évaluations dans la zone 4. Gordon doit avertir les partenaires à l’avance lorsque cette zone sera presque terminée afin qu’AFH puisse préparer de nouvelles zones débloquées.
Build Change attend du KHVR une liste de candidats à former à Villa Rosa pour proposer leurs noms aux bénéficiaires qui n’auraient pas de contact de boss. Boisvert doit vérifier que le groupe de jeunes intéressé par cette formation se mette en contact avec Gordon.
5. Typologies de construction
Architecture for Humanity a élaboré, en lien avec la communauté de la phase initiale, 5 typologies de maisons en fonction des différents sites que l’on trouve fréquemment à Villa Rosa. Nancy transmettra à Build Change d’ici le jeudi 19 janvier ces fiches qui serviront de base pour le service de dessin fourni aux bénéficiaires.
6. Délimitation / Cartographie
AFH compte sur le support du KHVR pour affiner la délimitation des sous-quartiers de Villa Rosa avec son équipe de terrain. Le début de l’énumération (marquage des numéros CVM sur la carte) est également prévu pour cette semaine.
Une réunion est prévue ce mardi 17 janvier entre AFH, OIM et le CNIGS (Anne Girardin) pour récupérer des données cartographiques. Frédérique doit transmettre ces cartes à Cordaid au fur et a mesure de leur disponibilité afin de faciliter les opérations de marquage du MTPTC.
7. Mobilisation communautaire pour la phase 2
Boisvert et Frédérique auront une réunion ce lundi pour commencer a identifier les participants possibles des focus groupes avant de les contacter individuellement pour leur présenter la démarche. Toujours Boisvert et Frédérique tiendront une rencontre avec le KHVR lendemain pour les expliquer la phase 2, c'est-à-dire les étapes et la méthodologie à adopter.
Frédérique a fait remarquer qu’AFH organisera 5 focus groupes (dont 2 la semaine prochaine) et 7 charrettes.
8. Suspension des activités de promotion de l’hygiène
Les activités de promotion d’hygiène sont suspendues en raison d’un problème financier. Priscille informera les partenaires dès le déblocage de la situation. Tout le dossier a déjà été transmis aux services financiers d’OIM.
Jonathan a informé qu’OIM met en place un projet avec la compagnie Synco pour la collecte des déchets. OIM aimerait expérimenter ce projet à Villa Rosa. Agathe communiquera avec Nicole pour regarder les possibilités d’initier ce programme à Villa Rosa.
De manière générale, Agathe doit discuter le projet des termes de référence WASH pour la zone 2 avec les partenaires AFH et OIM.
Jonathan a informé que 45 dossiers de service de dessin pour les retrofits de latrines dans la zone initiale sont prêts. La signature par les bénéficiaires devrait commencer sous peu. Jonathan doit adresser une requête à Boisvert pour qu’il mobilise les CDF pour assister OIM dans la signature des contrats.
10. Tags MTPTC
L’équipe des ingénieurs du MTPTC est arrivée ce lundi 16 janvier pour marquer les maisons qui avaient été oubliées. Le KHVR supporte les ingénieurs en leur servant de guide pour retrouver ces maisons non marquées.
11. Enquete PNUD 16/6
Des rumeurs circulent sur les actions de terrain du PNUD (enquête sociale IHSI). Boisvert et Gordon doivent informer leurs équipes de terrain que le marquage bleu du PNUD n’a pas d’influence sur le programme de reconstruction et retrofit. Agathe doit obtenir plus d’informations sur cette enquête (formulaire) et le discours des équipes de terrain du PNUD.
12. Questions diverses
AFH a présenté aux partenaires les deux nouveaux membres de son équipe sociale, Sony Noel et Jean-Carmel Laneau.
Des rapports de documentation sur des projets similaires sont en cours d’élaboration par Nancy, qui devrait les livrer en fin de semaine.
Agathe a mis sur pied le calendrier partagé sur Google Calendar. Elle encourage chaque organisation à mettre a jour ce calendrier (réunions importantes, nouvelles phases de travail) pour faciliter l’information des partenaires et le travail en commun.
La prochaine réunion se tiendra le jeudi 26 janvier à 10 h au local de Build Change.
| VILLA ROSA: zone 7 | Team Meeting Jan. 16, 2012
RE: Team Update
Attendees: Laneau, Sony, Natalie, Rickie, Claudia, Nancy, Olivia, Melvine
1. Team Introductions
a. Where is Karl?
2. Initial Phase Close-out
3. Mapping/Survey Updates
4. Community Engagement Update
5. Drop Box
a. Storage space
a. Condensing File Structure for Community Engagement
7. Project Report Table of Contents
8. Project Schedule
1. Karl has a problem with his hearing and waiting for the doctor to let him know when he can come back.
2. Olivia gave an update on Mapping/Survey. Haitian Mapping Team: Jackson and Salvador, Sony, Jackson
3. Olivia is hoping to start the detail mapping next week.
4. Rickie gave an update on Community Engagement
5. Sony will be also working on the Mapping Team.
6. Nancy to Meet with Rickie about file Structure.
7. Rickie needs to meet with the community to find out the Boundaries…..This Week avec Sony and Laneau
8. Rickie to start community mobilization with Laneau and Sony
9. Rickie to organize Meeting with Gubert
10. Rickie to meet with KHVR
11. Identify the list of contact
12. Marvine to follow Natalie this week. Nancy to find out about her schedule.
13. Olivia to meet with CNIGS an receive files
14. Claudia and Nancy to Meet Monday to strategize. Complete first round of Maps by Friday
Phone Minutes between Nancy and Gordon
-AFH requested to meet with Kenee and Gordon about Zone 7 of the initial phase.
-Gordon has been going over the BOQ numbers originally done by Matthew and his design team is coming up with living spaces too small for our standards. He requested that we have this meeting at a later date when they have been able to rework the design and the BOQ
-He restated the concern that he has that Henk's understanding of being able to build 24 square meters is unrealistic. Nancy agrees.
Cordaid: Agathe, Gubert, Henk
AfH: Darren, Nancy, Frederique, Natalie
UN Habitat: Sylvain, Vincent, Guytho
Debris II – Sylvain + Vincent
Facilitate return to neighborhoods. Inter-agency. Financed by HRF. PV and Lower Canapé Vert. UNDP: red houses. BIP: rehabilitation yellow. UN Habitat: community engagement (community-based planning and social mobilization):
- social mobilization
- community mapping
- community-based diagnostic and plan
16/6 aims to create community platforms at neighborhood level which can interface w/ mayor, int’l agencies, NGOs and community. All future projects will therefore be validated by community.
Debris II “alibi” to get into the neighborhoods. Alternative to CNE method which was clearing formal parts of the city – ignored bidonville neighborhoods. Planning so that in the long-term, there will be action plans for projects to be undertaken.
UN Habitat helped create and shape the policy of 16/6 but was displaced by the bigger organizations like UNDP, IOM and UNOPS when it came down to setting it up.
Integrated Approach - Agathe + Gubert
Aim to finish project June. 14 months of activity in VR to date. Started by meeting with leaders, with community groups. KHVR was elected by the 4 neighborhood area’s groups. CAPs held with each area. 8 members of the committee plus 3 from each neighborhood: total of 20.
In parallel, Cordaid helping Casec of Turgeau set up CSDC (Conseil de Développement de la Section Communale), established by law but not operationalized. Want to continue working with Casec.
Discussion on involving Casec
UN Habitat questions including Casec in "Community Platform" due to political motivations. Residents of the area only.
Cordaid want to keep working with Casec as elected official and exceptional person, plus already have contractual obligations.
Discussion on Community Platforms
Cordaid eager to continue work as timeline is short. KHVR already exists and functions so what is needed to get it up to standard of "Community Platform".
UN Habitat wants to make sure that KHVR accounts for fair cross-representation of community. Question of reopening the process of selection, make sure community feels represented, closing process. Possibly very short.
Cordaid agree in principle: KHVR already is the result of this process. How to recognize KHVR as community platform?
UN Habitat 3-4 days to vet KHVR. Meet with them, discuss community platform concept, suggest adjustments. Validation with larger community, photo op, change name to "Community Platform of Villa Rosa".
Discussion on impact on participatory planning
AfH already a week or so behind on community-based planning process. Short timeline means cannot have more delays. Concerns about whether setting up "Community Platform" will impact focus group/ charrette timeline.
Cordaid advises to continue as originally agreed and adjustments to KHVR will go on in parallel.
AfH suggests that we not overburden community with too many separate meetings, and that we coordinate community engagement.
- Meeting between Gubert, Frédérique, Vincent and Guytho to discuss community platform / engagement.
- UN Habitat & AfH to coordinate meeting with KHVR to talk about planning and about community platforms in same sitting.
Interested in hosting your competition on the Open Architecture Network? Contact Us and tell us about your competition!