Update as of 14th of January
• Construction progress has return to full pace after the holiday season.
• Currently concrete beams are close to completion and masonry walls ready to start after floor slab is complete.
• Representative from Opus (AoR) to visit the site the 17th of January for general review of the project execution and correct design interpretation.
• AfH is meeting with school representatives during the 13th of January week to coordinate general community engagement activities and general update of the construction progress.
Update as of 15th of December:
•Exposed concrete columns were poured with a high level of smoothness all steel reinforcement was placed in accordance to drawings
•The floor slab started by filling it with land and levelling it in order to prepare the concrete slab. Soil compaction is taking place every 20 cms.
•Masonry walls reinforcement was placed every 1.20 mts with steel #5/8
•AfH presented the project to parents and school community during the last day for school
After receiving insurances and performance bond from the contractor, the contract was activated and the construction was able to start the 15th of November.
Pedro Medina is the selected contractor to build the Multipurpose hall as a first stage of the project. Preparing all the contract documentation took place during September and October
During July and August two shortlisted contractors were pre-selected and final negotiations with each contractor will decide the final selection.
During the month of June 6 local contractors were asked to submit their working proposals.
Architect of record presented Architecture for Humanity with latest design development drawings.
The design and documentation process is going well and the team hopes to finalise the detailed design (including structural drawings) by the end of next week.
• AFH presented a master plan proposal developed by AoR for the School prospective long term project; the community agrees with this proposal.
• The Local Major will directly meet with planning authorities to request for a special permit.
• The school is also working closely with the Secretary of Education for them to request directly to the planning authorities for the construction permission.
• The updated Schematic Design (SD) was submitted to the school, currently waiting for community’s review.
• Waiting to receive the drafts from the Municipality regarding the “construction authorization”,.
• Agreement for Fundacion Endesa extra funds activated.
• School prospective future scope is very ambitious, currently working in order to adjust the long term architectural brief into feasible program that fits the existing allocated plot.
• The close location to the industrial area and the informality of the settlements means that the plot doesn’t have a normative for construction permit through the “Curadoria Urbana”.
• Currently overseeing alternatives to have a construction permit managed by the Municipality and/or the Secretary of Education.
• An organization named “Fundacion Mamonal” is interested in funding infrastructure at the school too.
• Agreement for Endesa Foundation donation for construction signed.
• Preliminary schematic design submitted by Project Designer.
• Initial site visit took place the first week of December meeting with different stakeholders including Mamonal Foundation and Curaduria Urbana.
• Community workshops developed by Design Lead.
• Agreement for Endesa Foundation donation currently reviewed by Architecture for Humanity.
• Pre-design work complete project starting schematic design.
• Project Lead/Project Design Agreement signed
• Preparing logistics along with Endesa Foundation for design team to do initial visit.
• Community workshops preparation by design lead.
Design agreement with project designer Opus Estudio has been decided, and we are happy to collaborate in with the Medellin based architectural firm for design development. Preliminary studies have been completed and the project is ready to start.
The final administrative details have been completed and there is green light to start working with the community in order to build a brand new facility.
After deep project analysis, feasibility studies and local consultants research the project is ready to kick off and start the community based design charrettes and the schematic design.